Joining a large meeting using Microsoft Teams from a Computer
Instructions for joining a large Microsoft Teams meeting (Like the Tuesday member meeting) From a Computer
These instructions are for joining from a Computer. See here for Tablet/Phone instructions.
The preferred method of using Microsoft Teams on a Computer is using the Microsoft Teams app. This is as that gives the best experience, especially with showing video from multiple participants. Only if this is not an option, use Microsoft Teams from a web browser
Step 1 & 2 can be skipped if you already have the Microsoft Teams application installed on your computer (e.g. from a previous meeting).
- Install Microsoft Teams Application from Microsoft’s website
- Once you install the App, it will ask for a username, only enter a username if you have a @bellevuerotary.net account, otherwise just ignore the login request as Guest access is enabled.
- An email calendar invitation from Rotary has been sent. This calendar invite includes a link to connect to the Microsoft Teams event to view the live presentation. Below is an example of the invitation email for Outlook and Gmail
- Approximately 2 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to begin, open the calendar invitation and click on the link “Join Microsoft Teams Meeting” in the body.
- A new internet browser window will open.
- In the Dialog select “Open Microsoft Teams”
- The Microsoft Teams app will open the meeting
- A) Type your name in the box. B) Toggle both the camera and microphone to off. They are off if the background is black. The camera and microphone are enabled if the background is purple.
- Click the ‘Join Now’ button
- The screen will change to now show you individuals currently in the presentation. Each person will be represented by their initials.
Call controls are available at the bottom of the screen. They may disappear, if this happens simply move you mouse and they will re-appear.
- Click the ‘Show Conversations’ button at the bottom in the call controls
- The conversations panel will appear on the right. This is where you will be able to type a question. We will not be using microphones to ask questions. Instead a moderator will review the questions and ask them of the presenter on your behalf. To ask a question, type your question into the new message box on the bottom right then click the enter button on your keyboard or click the arrow icon. Your message will appear in the meeting chat on the side. As other people ask questions you can also see them added to the meeting chat panel on the right.
- When the presenter begins the show, the screen will automatically change to show the presentation.
- When the meeting has ended, or if you need to leave. Click the red phone icon in the call controls on the right. If the call controls menu has disappeared, simply wiggle your mouse and it will reappear.
- Once you have left the meeting, you can close the Microsoft Teams window. If you accidentally left the meeting click the ‘Rejoin’ button to return to the meeting.